590.00 EUR pp
Artist, gardener and lover of natural cuisine, Raphaële Bernard-Bacot offers hospitality in her recently refurbished Château in Normandy, between the pleasure of gardening and excursions in the beautiful Norman countryside. “This is more a family style home than a formal castle” says Raphaële.
Surrounded by two rows of linden trees of monumental size, her Château was built shortly before the French Revolution, in a particularly rich and fertile territory. Due to its position at only 4 km from the ocean shore, its unique light, and spectacular cliffs, the place was much loved by the Impressionists. "When I had to decide my future as an artist," says Raphaële, "I decided to combine my two passions: the garden (especially the vegetable garden) and painting, making it the object of my inspiration. "Thanks to my mother, I cultivated another passion, natural cuisine: I love the orchard fruits, prepared simply to enhance their flavour, color and aroma". It is the rhythm of the seasons that inspired her latest work, called “Fruits dansés” (Dancing fruit) that can be seen in European galleries: “La Boucherie” in France, and “Gallery d’Hauterives” in Belgium. She is also represented by “Artvista” in the USA.
Raphaële has recently opened the doors of her castle for cooking-themed weekend designed for guests who, like her, love country living and good food. For the lucky guests, talented cooks prepare recipes using fresh and organic food, following local traditional cuisines. Autumn is apple season and late Summer is red fruit season so, be prepared to learn recipes using fruit of the season depending on when you prefer to come.
Day One (Friday)
• Arrival in the afternoon
• Welcome Brindisi with Champagne around 7.00pm • Dinner (cold buffet) with wine
Day Two (Saturday)
• Morning local market visit - Cheese and Cider products from local farmers.
• Drive to nearby charming village on the ocean shore for a lovely seafood lunch • Afternoon Cooking Class #1 - Theme: Cooking with apples
Appetiser: Crumble de betteraves - Beet crumble
Main Course: Suprême de volaille au cidre/purée parfumée - Chicken suprême with apple cider/Fragrant puréeDesert: Compote de pommes aux épices - Applesauce with spices
Day Three (Sunday)
• Morning Cooking Class #2 - Theme: Cooking with apples
Appetiser: Soupe froide de céleri et pommes - Cold soup of celery and apples Main Course: Magret de canard/Sauté de potiron caramelisé vinaigre de xéres - Duck breast/Pumpkin sauté caramelised with xéres vinegar (Spanish version of Balsamic)
Desert: Gratiné de pommes sur lit de pain d’épices/beurre salé - apple gratin servedon gingerbread/salted butter
• Afternoon garden visit (owned by Princess Sturdza, an avid gardener).
• 2 nights accommodation in the “family style home” castle
• 2 seasonal-themed cooking classes followed by dinner (Day Two) or lunch (Day Three) • Welcome brindisi with Champagne upon arrival
• Dinner with wine pairing on arrival day
• Local market visit with Raphaële
• Garden visit entrance tickets
• Meals not specified
• Tour insurance (highly recommended)
Note: This booking requires a minimum of 6 people - Maximum 8 people
Write a review
Sorry, you are unable to give a review before you have taken the culinary experience.
Weekend culinary retreat at an artist residence in Haute Normandy
590.00 EUR p.p
No sessions are currently scheduled.
Request a date of your choice below and we'll get back to you within 24 hours
Master the art of cheese, charcuterie and wine matching at French Saloon, Melbourne.Read more...
Master of Meat, Cheese & Wine with Todd Moses
Half day workshop in the French countryside with the lovely Peta MathiasRead more...
Half Day Workshop in Uzès, France